Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My Guest Blogger has Failed Me!

I tried. I really tried. I begged and pleaded and almost threatened but to no avail. Mike refuses to blog about Emily's explosive poop incident. He said he would only do it if I could come up with a good nom de plume and I got nothing. So readers, we have 2 options. I can blog about it, or you can come up with a good pen name for my hubby. We'll see if we get any good responses. If not, I'll just write the story myself.

In the meantime, we have plenty else to talk about.

Recovery from a C section.
Since I had it in my head that I was just going to have a normal birthing experience I never really prepared myself for the possibility of a C section. It's not something I would have chosen if there were any other options. I'm grateful it was an option, don't get me wrong. I feel very blessed to be recovering without complications. And I am even more grateful to have a beautiful healthy baby.

The hardest part is not so much the pain as it is not being able to move around. I can't drive for 2 weeks. Riding in a car isn't too pleasant anyway - it requires too much ab work for stabilization. All I can really do is lie around the house and feed the baby. And really , I think that is a good thing since she hasn't had any of her vaccinations yet, so she shouldn't really be going anywhere.

Today Mike and I are going to get vaccinations for whooping cough and the flu so we can't pass that on to her. I believe all the grandparents are getting the same vaccines as well.

The dogs
The dogs have been adjusting to Emily's presence quite well. We have taught them to maintain about a 2-3 foot distance from her unless invited closer. Neither dog seems particularly interested in getting to close to her. They are both more interested in her stuffed animals. When Emily starts crying during a diaper change both dogs get really uncomfortable. When Emily and I are sitting in the rocker, the dogs lie at my feet facing the door - classic guard dogs. I am really quite proud of them. We are keeping watchful eyes on both dogs, but so far we are pretty pleased. They are very calm and careful around her, and as long as that keeps up, they can both stay!

Emily
Oh, where to begin. This baby is a pretty easy baby. (My blessings are being counted every time I think that!) She is pretty low maintenance. She sleeps a lot right now. At night she goes down about 8 or 8:30, sleeps until 12:30 or 1, gets up for a meal, then sleeps till 5 or so. After that she will go back down for a few hours and I get up with her around 7:30 or 8. So far she has been fairly predictable. During the day her feeding schedule is pretty high maintenance, but the only reason she cries is if she is hungry or we have to change a poopy diaper and we don't use heated wipes.

Somehow Emily manages to sleep through just about everything from barking dogs to slamming cabinet doors, to husbands hollering from the other room. The only thing that seems to startle her is silverware clinking on a plate.

I am amazed by how much I already love this little creature. A lot of mom's don't bond with their babies right away. I really assumed I would be one of those moms. I have a tendency to dissociate from events when I know I am supposed to feel a strong emotion. Emily has pushed her little self right through that. She is absolutely my world in a way I couldn't begin to imagine before I had her. Who else would I get up with at 4 in the morning (with no coffee) just to stare at her adoringly while changing a poopy diaper. If that's not love, I don't know what is.

Here are some new pictures of her for your enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment