Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Well the initial adrenaline that comes with having a new baby wore off and it has taken me a few days to get myself together enough for a new blog post. We have had all kinds of company and yesterday was actually the first day Mike and I had alone with Emily since she was born. We had over 3 weeks of help. (Which I am VERY grateful for!) First my mom came and stayed with us, then Mike's mom did. Then my mom returned for a few days. And in the meantime we have had a steady stream of visitors: both daytime guests and over nighters. It was wonderful to be surrounded by so many of our family and friends, but it sure is nice to have things quiet down a little too. Although it will be a short lived quiet. We are visiting Grandmomma soon and then some aunties and uncles will be coming to visit us.

Mike starts work on the 24th so I am gearing up to take care of Emily mostly by myself. Well, I say that, but we have a nanny starting next week. She is 24 and has been a nanny for 5 years for the same family. She is only leaving them because their kids are all in school now. She is bilingual and will speak only Spanish with Emily so that Emily will be bilingual as well. She will be coming from 8:30 to 6:30 Monday through Thursday. On Fridays I will be home with Emily. (I actually wont be back at work full time until after Thanksgiving. I am taking one or two client meetings a day starting in November, but a full return won't happen until after the holiday.)

 One of the things I really wanted to be sure to do is spend lots of time with my kids. (There is only one right now, but don't worry Dad, there will be more!) By packing my work week into 4 days I can keep doing what I love and get plenty of time in with Emily. Eventually, when she is in school, I will work 5 days and just adjust my schedule around her school schedule. I have the best job in the world - I get to do something I love and build it exactly the way I want to. I get to structure my life exactly the way I want it. I feel very blessed to be able to do that. Hopefully my kids will feel blessed too!

I am loving being a mom. It is a totally different type of challenge than I have ever faced. For the most part Emily is pretty easy to deal with. She gets a little fussy after feedings, but I am learning to figure out the difference between the "I'm gassy and it hurts" cry and the "I'm bored and you are not very entertaining right now" cry. The only time I get really annoyed (and yes I have lost my temper once or twice) is when I get the "I'm bored" cry at 2 a.m. and Emily won't stop crying and go to sleep. I don't want to be entertaining at 2 a.m. I just want to go to bed. Still, after plenty of prayer I find I am actually really patient and Emily will usually go to sleep after I talk to her for about 30 minutes. (Yes I am that boring. You can put just about anyone to sleep talking about insurance if you work at it...even babies.)

At her last doctor visit (which was about a week and a half ago - I am so behind!) Emily weighed 9 lbs. 3 oz. That was her 2 week visit. From the time she left the hospital (at 7 lbs. 10 oz.) she gained 25 oz. That little oinker can eat! 25 oz. in 2 weeks is really good. She was in the 95th percentile for length and the 80th percentile for weight. Her next visit is this Friday. If I can get my act together I'll give you a prompt update.

Kisses from Emily!
Until next time. Whenever that may be...

No comments:

Post a Comment